My space

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

India Divided

If you ask me what is the biggest threat our nation faces you might answer terrorism.But sorry guys, the threat is within this nation and is all set to consume the nation if it grows at such alarming rates. And the threat is 'REGIONALISM' , in fact narrow minded regionalism which is forcing us to sling mud at each other and grab each other's throats even over sharing natural resources the country is blessed with.

Bal Thackeray expresses his dissatisfaction and angst on non Marathis invading Mumbai.He expresses his apprehensions on whether Marathi culture will be lost.Kannada activists rallly to make Kannada compulsory in schools. In Tamil Nadu Government decides to make all court proceedings in Tamil. ULFA asks all Hindi speaking people to leave Assam or face dire consequences.

These are some images of our rising , shining India. If you thought in 21st cetury India; language, religion and caste were a thing of past, think again.Call it a political gimmick or whatever it is pathetic that even educated people are victims to this unhealthy trend.People are just too proud of their state and its culture and history. I am not saying you should not be proud, but where do you draw the line between being proud and forcing the culture on people who have come from other states generally termed as 'outsiders'.Why should a person be considered outsider when he is also as much Indian as you are.

May be I feel this way as I have no state to call my own. My mother tongue Konkani is of Goan origin, but I was born and brought up in Kerala, did higher studies in Karnataka, worked in Maharashtra for some time, got married to a Tamilnadu guy and again back in Karanataka.So I am an outsider here.When I go to my home state Kerala I am an outsider there also as I had left Kerala 8 years back.In Maharshtra and Tamil Nadu also I am an outsider.In Goa also I am an outsider as my forefathers had fled that place centuries back during Portugese invasion.So basically I am a person suffering from an identity crisis.I am neither a Goan nor Mallu nor Tamil nor Marathi nor Hindi nor Kannadiga.

My house owner was once blaming all outsiders for Kannadigas not getting job. But when it comes to receiving 10 grants of rent every month the outsider tag is inconspicuous I guess. Why are people being hypocrites I dont understand.I do understand Kannada and can manage to pull off a bit of spoken Kannada as well. But expecting me to be an expert of the language is too much I feel. The same goes with all states. Just because some megalomaniac politicians raise a hue and cry,why should we master all languages and why should the so called locals line up with arms to get rid of outsiders.India as a whole belongs to all of us and we should have the freedom to live where ever we want and do our job.

If IT was there in Kerala, probably I would not have been here at all.But what can be done if people have to leave their homes due to circumstantial pressures and come to alien places.Instead of welcoming them , do we raise our voice and blame them for all the sad plight of our state.I cant agree at all. Are we a nation stupid enough to be instigated by selfish politicians for their selfish motives.I would not like to believe so.

India belongs to all of us irrespective of language, caste or creed.Instead of channeling our energies in fuelling regionalism and showing animosity towards people of other states, cant we use it for the wholesome development of our nation.Whether we work in Karanataka or Maharashtra or Delhi or Gujarat what matters is what we can do to put our nation in the path of progress.It requires a lot of effort may be, but not impossible.

Please stop harbouring ill feelings towards each other and over reacting on trivial issues related to language, caste and religion.Rise beyond the shackles of regional interests, stop acting like fanatics and take the nation forward!!

3 Comments:

  • Pretty right...

    Do we actually have the right to make such a hue and cry about being the butt of racism when we are so very racist ourselves (me included)?

    ;-)

    By Blogger Paddy, at 1:17 PM  

  • "No man should judge unless he asks himself in absolute honesty whether in a similar situation he might not have done the same."
    Viktor Frankl, Holocaust survivor

    The instances you have shown in the post are but extreme behaviour - more moderate forms of which we exhibit all the time. Havent we all laughed at jokes stereotyping a particular race or group - I know I have been guilty of this personally.

    Xenophobia is increasingly evident in various parts of India. Is it a coincidence that 100% literate Kerala is relatively free of this phenomenon? But it is heartening to see large numbers of people speaking out against such rabid behaviour. The 'Silent Majority' refuses to be silent.

    Sachin

    p.s : Never knew you were an advertisement for India's 'Unity in Diversity' package :P

    By Blogger Sachin R K, at 3:06 PM  

  • hi chits...

    as i konkani i hav always got a feeling of neither here nor der... i speak mal, tamil, hindi and english fluently, coz of which ppl r never able to place me in a particular backgrnd. i see ppl in my colg have regional grps (hindi, tamil, mallu, etc). n i m a part of all of them (;-))

    SRI

    By Blogger SRILAXMI, at 5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home