My space

Friday, July 06, 2007

Travails of a blogger

This issue has been in the back of my mind for very long and I want to address it atleast now. It has been 2.5 years since I started blogging , when I started off I was intending it as a place to put down some of my so called literary works which I had penned down in the spur of a moment.Anyways somewhere down the lane my blog became a reflection of my social , political and general views.Let me just come to the point than beat around the bush.

Its really difficult having blogging as a hobby especially when you dont have likely minded people around you.There are so many of my friends and of course most of my family who dont even have an iota of idea I have been blogging to glory though I had passed my blog address to them when I started one. But alas! no one has the time or mentality to encourage a budding talent.sob!sob!.It is okay they are forgiven, not everyone might take interest in all such things, we hardly consider writing as a talent. Thats why I had passed around my blog address to only selected few afterwards, who I thought would atleast say ' Its not a bad attempt' and my only source of inspiration to keep my posts alive for such a long time , else the hit rates are so low some times that I used to feel immensly discouraged to continue further.I have to confess this, with so much effort you write an article and then you realise it is given no more importance than a piece of paper in which they wrap pea nuts. Its really heart breaking at times!

I do agree that literature or writing or blogging is not for everyone.Why o why we consider only singing, dancing, arts as the only talent. I have heard people saying 'she sings so well' or 'she dances so well' , 'she makes superb crafts' , but I hardly hear people telling it is written so well. Though writing requires much more of effort and knowledge we hardly consider it as a talent.It just requires a second to thrash a literary work as utter crap though it requires years and years of thorough research and humungous effort to pen one down. I know my posts dont require even one millionth of that effort, but still I cant go around telling people blogging is my hobby because I felt no one really appreciates it.

I really get asked by people what do I do for a hobby and only to people who understand my literary inclinations I say I blog or write, else I simply give the age old past times of reading or listening to music, but I know I enjoy blogging much more than this. It really hurts me when I give people my blog address and they wont even bother to check it once to see what it is all about.So much for my effort put into this!

Now that I have been at home for a while away from work , people ask me how do I pass my time.Again I can't tell I blog and while some of my time because I realise it is a difficult attempt to make people understand what it is all about. Every one asks me to take up stitching or embroidery( thats what a girl's hobby should be!) but except stitching torn clothes it really does not interest me a bit.Some others suggested I take up painting which I used to do pretty well in high school. But it is ages since I did that and to be honest my interest in blogging surpasses that.

But sadly my hidden talent still remains hidden, still shielded from a number of people who know me, what more even from some of my good friends. May be this anonymity is a blessing in disguise, I can freely wield my opinion in this blog space which is a tiny little world in which my thoughts have found an abode.But some times I really wish people understood what my hobby and passion is and took me little more seriously.Perhaps everyone is not capable of doing that.

Anyways I continue to nurture my little talent here in the midst of fellow bloggers and all the anonymous or known visitors who have visited my blog atleast once.Thanks to all ya guys and I hope there will be a day when I can proudly declare that I blog for a hobby.

6 Comments:

  • hullooo...whoever said Blogging aint worth it didnt know whats it all about and definitely you shouldnt consider their views as a yardstick methinks!!
    Just keep up the good work!

    By Blogger Extremus Abnormalus, at 10:33 AM  

  • he may be extremus and abnormalus too, but is definitely right...

    you don't worry you zilly billy :D hit rates are fine ;-)

    By Blogger Paddy, at 3:27 PM  

  • Well kept BLOG
    all the betst
    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:31 PM  

  • :))...nice one

    By Blogger Rajan Venugopal S, at 4:52 PM  

  • Chitra, your style of writing has been impeccable, and really captivating! You have always presented your ideas and thoughts in a very lucid manner. Really appreciate that! Keep up the good work, and keep writing! - Hari Chettan

    By Blogger Hari Nair, at 9:48 AM  

  • Hi Chitra, You should proudly declare that you are a blogger! This is my first stop at your space and I must say whatever I've read so far are very well written indeed!

    By Blogger Nithya, at 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home